To be the leader that has united the community towards positive change.
To serve as a catalyst to improve the lives of people in our community.
3 Focus Areas for United Way of Greater Augusta TO ENSURE...
Education: Helping children and youth achieve their potential
Income: Promoting financial stability and independance
Health: Improving people's health
We must give children the tools to:
Enter school ready to learn! --> That includes the necessary school supplies. If a student has the necessary required back to school supplies that remove a barrier to learning.
Education Facts and Stats:
- 35% children in the Staunton, Augusta and Waynesboro regions enter school not ready to learn
- 41% children in the Staunton, Augusta and Waynesboro regions receive free or reduced lunch due to low family income
- Children must be ready to suceed when they get to school (cognitively, socially, emotionally and physically) before they can learn there. They also need to be present at school- attending regularly- because they can't learn if they aren't there.
- 25% of high school students nationwide do not graduate from high school.
- An estimated 75% of Americans aged 17 to 24 cannot join the US military- 26 million young Americans- most often because they are poorly educated, involved in crime, or physically unfit.
- In 2007, nearly 6.2 million young people (16% of the 16-24 age group) were high school dropouts. Every student who does not complete high school costs our society an estimated $260,000 in lost earnings, taxes, and productivity.